Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 13, 2013

St George's Terrace

EXAMS ARE OVER...FINALLY! Though I'm very very uncertain of the outcome, I'm so relieved that the exams are over!

Today's post will be about my favourite part of St George's Terrace - also known as the main CBD area of Perth. St George's Terrace is where all the skyscrapers are, and there's a mixture of old and new buildings.

Went to Theobroma Chocolate Lounge in the city as I was just dying to have a hot chocolate! It just happened to be on St George's Terrace - so convenient for me. Surprisingly, although I've always been drinking their hot chocolate, I've actually never tried their chocolate bars or buttons! So I bought some. 

Anyway it was my lucky day. I had a cup of hot chocolate, and the lady who made it did some coffee (or should I say chocolate?) art for my drink! So I had to take pictures :)





The same lady then came with a SECOND cup of mocha, and gave it to me, saying that it was their treat, and that I didn't need to pay for it. Likewise - gorgeous coffee art. How awesome is that? I drank the mocha first, followed by the chocolate. She was really nice, and even asked me what I was doing. So I told her that I was studying clinical psychology and am currently taking a breather from studying.





Here's the exterior of the chocolate lounge. I can never get tired of it.




The Perth Technical School - established in 1910. One of the oldest surviving buildings in St George's Terrace. The carving on the front is absolutely gorgeous. This building has been refurbished to house an art gallery and Theobroma Chocolate Lounge of course.





Really gorgeous carvings at the entrance, on the pillars.





The famous leadlight windows at the entrance. Leadlight windows are a form of decorative windows, supported by lead, and are usually really intricate. These ones were my favourite - I took a number of pictures of them. They only look good from the outside though; from the inside they aren't illuminated. In the pics here, they have been illuminated by the lighting inside.








The leadlight at the main door. Equally gorgeous :)




And here we go - the main entrance. You can see part of the art gallery inside.





The art gallery inside is called Linton and Kay. And there were also leadlight windows, except simpler. Equally beautiful though! 




The famous staircase made of jarrah. This is the grand staircase that connects all three storeys of the building.





This grand staircase kinda reminds me of the ones I saw at Werribee Museum and the Government House. I can see some similarities in their structure.

Oh yeah - for added effect, I switched to the black-and-white mode on my camera.





Focused more on the details of the staircase here...and oh my, the carvings are pretty gorgeous! Simple, but plain and elegant.






The main entrance of the art gallery. There were some sculptures displayed - and one of them was of a young lady sitting with her legs close to her body.





The former West Australian Trustee Executor and Agency Company Limited. It now houses a bar and bistro.




131 St George's Terrace - used to be the Royal Insurance Building of Perth. There's a high-class bar/restaurant/boardroom on the ground floor...and check out the gorgeous main entrance! For some reason this building always reminds me of "Thoroughly Modern Millie" (1967). It might be the doorways...or the glass, but yeah I keep getting reminded of the movie each time I pass by this building.






The companies that are housed in this building - their names all engraved and customised on panels in front. One day I should try to enter this building - this looks like a really cool building.







When old meets new - reflection of a new skyscraper in the window of an old building. And guess what? The bar/restaurant/boardroom is known as The Heritage! :)




The outside of the former Royal Insurance Building of Perth, in its full glory. This is another favourite building of mine. I first came across it last year when I walked to Kings Park. And I took pictures of it of course!






Another heritage building along St George's Terrace, which is next to the Royal Insurance Building. It has been converted to accomodate some shops and an art gallery/shop.





Playing with Reflections - again :) There was a sign right at the corner of the street and it had a mirror on it - so yeah, played with some reflections along the streets.







The former Palace Hotel (Perth), originally built in 1897 during the Gold Rush. It is now part of Bankwest. The modern, corrugated-looking building at the back of the Palace Hotel is the current Bankwest tower. It is a very important landmark in St George's terrace - and also one of the most popular during its time.




Small little building wedged in between two skyscrapers - on the opposite side of the road.




Another heritage-listed building - the Trinity Church. I initially wanted to go in to take some pics, but I think they were starting a service inside.






After walking through St George's Terrace, I headed down to Langley Park - where the Cirque du Soleil tent is. More to that in the next post!